paperdollmom

paperdollmom

The Power of a Bookshelf

I recently decided to steal the small bookshelf from my girls' room and drag it to our living room. It was just sitting in the corner of the bedroom, collecting dust, filled with old books that were never going to be cracked open again (mainly because they were much younger books, storybooks now much too young for my growing girls). Once the bookshelf was placed in an open spot in the living room, we went through all the old books that were on it (mainly putting them into a give away pile), and dug out other newer books they now love that have been stashed beneath their beds. I gave them each one of the shelves (and I took the other), to fill up with their much loved favorite books. What a difference it is to have an easy to access bookshelf filled with favorites! I have found both of my daughters hovering around their shelves daily, pulling books out to look at together. They are both reading every night, and I've even seen them playing with their dolls before the bookshelf (with books included in the play). Why haven't I done this so much sooner? I've placed a vase filled with flowers atop (bouquets my husband gave each of them after their dance recital this weekend), and I cannot hear enough compliments from my daughters about how beautiful the bookshelf looks with all their books, and how it is the most perfect spot for flowers. I always love to see children loving books.